- This event has passed.
Join us for the two-part screening of Yoga Unveiled on Saturdays, January 25 and February 29, 7:00-9:00.
Popcorn and Drinks provided, but feel free to bring your own.
Yoga Unveiled is a breathtaking journey of sight and sound that illuminates the essence of yoga as its creators understood it thousands of years ago.
Harnessing the colorful commentary of the most prominent yoga scholars, teachers and medical experts, Yoga Unveiled reveals how yoga began, tells the story of its passage to the West, describes its numerous branches, recounts the fascinating biographies of the foremost yoga masters, and explores the astonishing medical potential of yoga.
Stunning cinematography, ornate visual displays and stirring music create a truly enchanting viewing experience. The great devotees of yoga featured in the film include B.K.S. Iyengar, Patabhi Jois, T.K.V. Desikachar, Rodney Yee, Patricia Walden, Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Dr. Georg Feuerstein, and others.
Deepak Chopra praises Yoga Unveiled as a one-of-a-kind documentary film that covers the most comprehensive overview of the yoga tradition in its true essence. An artistic and inspirational triumph.
Origins of Yoga
An overview of the formation of yogic philosophy in ancient India.
The experts define yoga in their own words.
Archival footage of the excavation of the Indus Valley Civilization which shows the earlier evidence of Yoga within the culture.
An exploration of the Vedas and Upanishads, the ancient sacred texts which gave rise to yoga.
The Branches of Yoga
Detailed commentaries on Bhakti yoga, Karma yoga, Jnana yoga, Raja yoga, Tantra yoga, and Hatha yoga.
Rare archival footage of Swami Sivananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa & some others.
The Passage from East to West
A biography of Swami Vivekananda, a revered sage who introduced yoga to the West. His work during the late eighteen hundreds planted a seed amongst Americans to see life through the lens of Yoga, that grew into a cultural obsession.
A look at the life of the great yoga master, Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya, who preserved the ancient tradition of yoga and trained the greatest modern day hatha yoga teachers.
Biographies of Krishnamacharya’s great disciples, Indra Devi, B.K.S. Iyengar, Pattabhi Jois, and TKV Desikachar.
Insightful commentaries about the place of yoga in the modern world.
Yoga and Modern Medicine
Works of some of the foremost medical doctors who use yoga & meditation as adjuncts to their healing modalities.
Dr. Dean Ornish, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Dr. Herbert Benson, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Father Joe Pereira & many more eloquently share their profound experiences of how Yoga heals.
Reviews of Yoga Unveiled
• “Yoga Unveiled is an extraordinary documentary that captures the essence of Yoga in all its myriad forms, illuminating the history and evolution of the practice in a way that is sophisticated, revealing and accessible. The collected knowledge and wisdom in the film is astounding, and I would recommend it to anyone who is passionate about Yoga and its applications in modern life.”
Yoga Works, Los Angeles, CA
• “Yoga Unveiled is an incredible resource for me as the director of a Yoga Teacher Training program. It traces the very roots and foundations of yoga (often elusive to Westerners practicing yoga today).
Neighborhood Yoga, Boone, NC
• “Yoga Unveiled is a video documentary of the yoga tradition. Early on, the observation is made that yoga is not intended to promote the teacher, but to support the student. This is a fitting and humble orientation-but of course one should not forget the teacher entirely.
• According to yoga historian Dr. Georg Feuerstein, “While there has been a great interest in the discipline of yoga, we don’t yet have the proper context for an authentic engagement of yoga in the West.
• “Yoga Unveiled is a joyous, educational and uplifting experience from beginning to end. All the aspects of Yoga are harmoniously discussed herein. It is, as far as I know, the only comprehensive audio-visual production available. The renowned authorities, Eastern and Western, have given the message in a telling way.
Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Society, Providence, RI
• “Yogins and yoginîs , this is a documentary you must not miss, and it is remarkable that it is so affordable. If I had to summarize this film in one word, it would be, “Wow.”
Online Journal of IAYT
• “This is everything, it’s all here. This is the moving image encyclopedia of yoga. Everything the left side of the brain ever wanted to know about yoga is clearly expressed by the world’s leading experts and beautifully.
• “I first watched Yoga Unveiled when I was in a Yoga Teacher Training course. I thought it was really wonderful to see and hear so many of the great Yoga teachers of my time and to have the history of Yoga presented concisely.
Yoga Ink, Prince Edward Island, Canada